Here is a list of the most common fish species in Norwegian waters.
- Cod - Our financially most important wild fish. Five stocks.
- Haddock - The “real” fish and chips fish. Two stocks in our waters.
- Saithe - An underrated delicacy. Two stocks along the Norwegian coast.
- Herring - “The silver of the sea” plays a key role in the marine ecosystem.
- Mackerel - Restless swimmer. Two species in our waters.
- Capelin - Small smelt with great significance in the ecosystem.
- Blue whiting - Uses the Norwegian coast as its pantry.
There are numerous other fish species in Norwegian waters. Read more about them on IMR's topic pages.