The Norwegian Meteorological Institute is responsible for public meteorological services for civilian and military purposes. The Institute must work to ensure that authorities, businesses, institutions and the population at large have the best possible opportunity to secure life and property, for planning and for environmental protection.
The Institute's tasks are to:
- forecast weather
- study the Norwegian climate and provide climatological explanations
- operate the meteorological observation network in Norway, adjacent seas and Svalbard
- conduct sufficient research and development to resolve academic and practical tasks
- provide services to the civil aviation authorities
- disseminate the results of its work
- take on assignments and provide special services for public and private interests
- participate in international meteorological cooperation
The Institute currently has three offices in Norway: Oslo, Bergen and Tromsø. We have a staff of about 440 employees. In addition, we fund around 330 observers all over the country.